Park Facts

  • The Park was originally named Lincoln Park in 1904. It contained the Lincoln Playfield and the Lincoln Reservoir. Only the reservoir retains its original name, and it is buried!
  • During the reservoir replacement project, new drainage system was built at the bottom of the buried reservoir, and over 11,000 cubic yards of concrete were poured to create two 6.25 million-gallon vaults.
  • Cal Anderson Park was awarded the Washington Recreation & Park Association 2006 Spotlight Award!
  • NWSource People’s Picks 2006 named Cal Anderson Park as the Favorite City Park. Read about it here.
  • Bre Pettis rigged up a camera to a kite and took some fabulous aerial photos of Cal Anderson Park in July 2006.
  • The circumference of the park on the sidewalks, including Bobby Morris Playfield, is 3,325 feet, or about 2/3 of a mile. An interior loop on gravel paths, using the concrete Gatehouse as the most southern edge and passing the cone water feature on the north, is 1,700 lineal feet, or about 1/3 of a mile.

calplans1

Follow these links to selected media coverage about Cal Anderson Park:

The Park at Two: Cal Anderson Park a Thriving Neighborhood Asset“, Korte Brueckmann, Capitol Hill Times, 8/29/07

Born Again in Seattle“, Mark Hinshaw, Landscape Architecture magazine, 10/06 (pdf)

Pooling Our Resources“, Paul Dorpat, Seattle Times “Now & Then” column, 12/10/06

Creating Cal Anderson Park: Blue Sky on Capitol Hill“, Kay Rood, historylink.org, published 12/05.

Pretty, Busy“, Jessica Knapp, Real Change, 11/9/05

Put a Lid on It“, Jerry Garcia, The Stranger, 10/13/05

The Park is Open“, Doug Schwartz, Capitol Hill Times, 9/28/05

Cal Anderson Park opens Saturday“, Dipika Kohli, Daily Journal of Commerce, 9/23/06 (pdf)

Celebrating a park’s rebirth“, Marc Ramirez, Seattle Times, 9/23/05

A Park Transformed“, Doug Schwartz, Capitol Hill Times, 9/21/05

Ugly Duck Capitol Hill Park Becomes a Swan“, Marc Stiles, Daily Journal of Commerce, 1/8/04

Cal Anderson Park project information. The Berger Partnership, Landscape Architects.

More information about the park available on the Seattle Parks Department website.